Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Thursday (Friday morning AEDT) that Israel has "settled its account" with Yahya Sinwar, a key Hamas leader and one of the orchestrators of the October 7 attack.
Netanyahu said Sinwar's death marked an "important moment in the war" and highlighted the continued efforts to rescue hostages held in Gaza.
The Israeli military confirmed Sinwar’s death after conducting DNA tests on the body, which was discovered alongside two other militants following a raid in Gaza.
Sinwar had been one of Hamas' top leaders and a major force behind the group's military wing in Gaza for years, significantly increasing its capabilities. His killing was described as both a "military and moral achievement" by Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz, who noted it could create an opportunity for the immediate release of hostages.
Sinwar, who had been imprisoned by Israel until 2011 and was treated for brain cancer during his time in custody, was killed in what appears to have been a battle, not a targeted airstrike, according to Israeli security officials.
Photos shared online showed a man resembling Sinwar with a severe head wound, half-buried under rubble. The Israeli military explained that the militants had been tracked into a building, which was subsequently destroyed by tank fire. Sinwar's body was discovered during the aftermath.
Sinwar’s death comes as Israel continues its aggressive military campaign against Hamas in Gaza, which has so far resulted in significant casualties on both sides. The conflict has led to widespread destruction in northern Gaza, particularly in the Jabaliya refugee camp, where Israeli forces have carried out repeated operations.